Moving—whether it’s a small household move or a large, commercial one—is always bound to be a complicated process. This is even truer when the people moving lack experience in relocation and are unaware of what to expect out of the entire ordeal. After all, moving requires careful planning and organization, and the process begins from the moment you decide to move until the final unpacking of the last box in your new home. Without a solid moving plan, moving can be incredibly difficult to execute.
In order to properly prepare for your next move, take a look at advice from our professional movers at Prestige Moving & Storage. In this article, we’ll outline the typical moving day for you to use as a guide to getting organized for an easy and enjoyable moving experience without the hassle.
What to Expect During the Moving Process
One of the most important aspects of moving is hiring professional movers to help. The quality of the professionals that you hire is extremely important, so make sure to get in touch with several of them to ask for an in-house estimate to compare services and rates. The most reputable companies will provide this service at no charge or obligation to you. In fact, you should avoid companies that offer flat rates over the phone, or that won’t come to your home for a free evaluation.
You’ll also want to decide on which services you want, and which ones you don’t for a fully customized moving experience. Full-service movers will handle everything from packing to loading, unloading, and unpacking. They will also handle furniture disassembly and assembly, and provide more services designed to make your moving day as hands-off and stress-free as possible.
The Day of the Move
On the day of the move itself, here’s how things will usually go:
- Professional movers from your chosen moving company will arrive on the agreed date and time. The supervisor of the crew would then introduce himself as your go-to person for any concerns or questions you might have about the move, in addition to your moving coordinator.
- Next, the crew will check your belongings and make a written inventory of everything. They will check the condition of each item, record it, and assign an inventory number for it. The inventory is done to make sure that your belongings arrive at your new home in the same condition as they were when they left your old one.
- After you’ve signed the inventory list, the professional movers will then load and carry your items to the moving truck or moving van. Using moving pads and other moving tools and equipment, the professional movers will arrange the furniture and other items securely to avoid shifting during transportation.
- Once all your things are safely loaded, the supervisor or the driver of the moving van will show you the bill of lading. This bill shows the moving estimate, the expected delivery date and time, as well as the conditions of the move. Make sure you read and check everything before you sign.
- When you get to your new home, inspect each item and check each one off the inventory list. Tell the movers where you want each item or box to go. Once everything’s in, sign off on the moving inventory and bill of lading, and you’re done.
Enjoy a Stress-Free Relocation with Top-Rated Moving Professionals
Hiring a reputable and professional moving company can be one of the most important decisions you’ll make when planning a relocation. Our team at Prestige Moving & Storage, Co. has provided the Portland area with over five decades of top-quality moving services, and we’re proud to continue this tradition for household and commercial moves to this very day. We are a BBB-accredited Oregon business that can help you move across the street, to a new state, or anywhere around the globe—with high-quality, affordable solutions that will get your belongings wherever you need them to be, without the stress or hassle that’s associated with the typical moving process.
Our uniformed, background-checked, and Allied-certified staff members are available to help you with your move even on the weekends! We are also experienced in doing debris removal, professional packing, and crating of fine art and antiques. For more information, give us a call to speak with our team now—or fill out our online form to request a free, in-home moving quote and consultation.