With around 100,000 residents, Bend, OR is a moderately sized city, but one of the biggest in the area. Hence, it is the go-to place for healthcare, employment, and entertainment. If you are thinking about making Bend your home, you’ll probably want to learn more about it before taking on the challenge of a long-distance move. There is a lot to learn about this Pacific Northwestern city.
Working in Bend, OR
The location of Bend, OR on the eastern side of the Cascades makes it an ideal spot for those who are interested in outdoor activities, particularly skiing and hiking. In fact, tourism is one the biggest economic drivers in town, employing about 16% of the city’s workforce.
One of the biggest employers in Bend is Mount Bachelor ski resort with about 750 employees. The resort offers:
- Mountain Biking
- Wrecktangle Ninja Obstacle Course
- Les Schwab Tire Centers
- JELD-WEN Windows
- Bend Memorial Clinic
- IBEX Global
- Fred Meyer
- Deschutes Brewery
Fun Activities and Events in Bend, OR
You won’t just be working in Bend, OR. You’ll also want to relax and enjoy yourself from time-to-time. This Central Oregon town is one of the biggest cities in the area, so most of the main draws are located close by. Consider trying out a few of these activities after you’ve finished with the move:
- Skiing: It’s easy to find a place to ski around the Cascade Mountains. Just head over to Mt. Bachelor resort or head a little further out to the Hoodoo Ski Area on a day trip.
- Hiking and Biking: There are hundreds of hiking and biking trails around the area, including at Pilot Butte State Park, Deschutes River Trail, and Oregon Badlands Wilderness.
- BendFilm: One of the best indie film festivals opens up in Bend every fall. They showcase independent films in the Pacific Northwest.
- Bend Brewery Tour: When you get a free day schedule a tour of Deschutes Brewery in Bend, then drop by the pub afterwards for a pint.
- Blockbuster Rentals: If you want to experience a blast from the past, stop in at the last remaining Blockbuster Video Store on NE Revere Ave. They still have aisles and aisles of DVDs to rent.
New residents in Bend OR can find a lifetime’s worth of things to see and do here. From taking in views from a dormant volcano to sampling the best beers and meals in the area, you’ll certainly enjoy everything too.Planning a move to Bend, OR soon? Make the trip easier by hiring an award-winning Portland moving company. As experienced local and long-distance movers, Prestige Moving & Storage can be the ones to take care of your belongings during that relocation. Just give us a call or fill out our online form to set up a free consultation with cost estimate for the move today.